Reply To: How To Increase Orexin

Index General Discussion The Science of N How To Increase Orexin Reply To: How To Increase Orexin

Pereise1
Pereise1
Participant
@pereise1

@pereise1 Question for you sir. If you have N1 (ie virtually no orexin) is trying to increase your orexin sort of futile? Or does this stuff activate orexin receptors vs neurons?

I wouldn’t say it’s futile per se. From the available autopsies that we have, the maximum amount of lost of Orexin Cells lost is 95%. In one study, a person with N w/o C had only 33% orexin cell loss:

“Reduced Number of Hypocretin Neurons in Human Narcolepsy”
“Localized Loss of Hypocretin (Orexin) Cells in Narcolepsy Without Cataplexy”

What’s more, although not currently feasible in human PWN, orexin gene therapy is able to restore circadian rhythms and wakefulness in mouse orexin-ataxin models (0% orexin left). We also have many studies like this one, that show that upon sensing the monosaccharide N-acetyl-d-mannosamine, the hypothalamus starting producing brand new prepro-orexin generating cells (I have no idea how to increase N-acetyl-d-mannosamine, nor do I know what foods contain more of it. Believe me, I tried looking). So while this was an in vitro study, I don’t know why it wouldn’t be possible even in a Narcoleptic brain.

What’s more, some things, like Nicotine, activate many of the same brain regions as Orexin and can act in lieu of it. Wherever I haven’t noted it specifically, the studies themselves should say whether the substance/pathway mentioned either increases orexin neurons, increases receptors, activates receptors, disinhibits orexin neurons, etc.