Index Support Center Forums Non Rx Strategies Acetylcarnitine

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 1 month ago by Jason. This post has been viewed 996 times
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

This is included in Wikipedia’s Narcolepsy page:

Abnormally low levels of acylcarnitine have been observed in people with narcolepsy.[60] These same low levels have been associated with primary hypersomnia in general in mouse studies. “Mice with systemic carnitine deficiency exhibit a higher frequency of fragmented wakefulness and rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, and reduced locomotor activity.” Administration of acetyl-L-carnitine was shown to improve these symptoms in mice.[61] A subsequent human trial found that narcolepsy patients given L-carnitine spent less total time in daytime sleep than patients who were given a placebo.[62]

Does anybody have any experience with this? Did taking an alcar supplement help anybody?

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

Several of us had success with oral l-carnitine liquids. Myself, it seemed to tear up my gut too much to be worth the benefit.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

JasonJason
    Keymaster

@dave2048 I’ll look into it. I’m aware of the studies but my damned N memory leaves much to be desired. I’ll get back to you.

JasonJason
    Keymaster

@dave2048 here’s the link to the study on pwn using carnitine supplementation. They used l-carnitine, not acetyl-l-carnitine

That study was done by the same researcher who reported low levels of acylcarnitine in pwn. I’d use l-carnitine over acetyl-l-carnitine since it restored the acetylcarnitine levels and has been studied in people, not just mice. They used 3 170mg l-carnitine capsules daily.

It’s interesting that 20% of pwn seem to be deficient. The author suspects a beta oxidation defect. It’s particularly interested because beta oxidation defects can cause neurological problems/damage and may explain some cases of N not associated with an autoimmune problem.

Just FYI, I would not exceed 500mg of carnitine since excessive doses may lower thyroid hormones. The best natural sources of carnitine are red meat, particularly lamb…yum!

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

I always wonder if these N deficiencies in essential amino acids are direct causation, or if having N leads to poor general health or poor diet and that causes it.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

JasonJason
    Keymaster

There’s a gene variant that regulates carnitine associated with N. It’s weird. There may be more than one way to develop N.

Of course since that research really wouldn’t lead to a pharmaceutical, there’s not much funding for it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.