Index General Discussion The Science of N Any Dream Theories with Narcolepsy/Hallucinations

• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 9 months ago by TheRabbitKing. This post has been viewed 987 times
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Was wondering with anyone out there also experience vivid-like dreams, like average person doesnt remember their dreams but i remember clearly about 80% of my dreams with some gaps in between that mostly are filled from my thoughts. I have also somewhat an ability to lucid dream —> being able to dream what you wanna dream. I believe narcolepsy has a reoccurring theme in my dreams, i dream like i have slept for so long, only to find out it has only been 10 minutes. Any deep dreamers out there haha!

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

I used to have vivid and memorable dreams, but now they kinda leak out of my brain not too long after waking. I get the senese they’re still pretty strange, and I do sorta do the lucid thing too, though it’s like I’m not completely aware when I’m doing that I’m actually doing it, but something will go ‘wrong’ with the dream, and I’ll be like “I don’t like that” and change it.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Participant

@kinistoniscool
    I hear ya on the dreaming thing, I find that I am left in the dreaming state for what seems like a few mins to roll over and look at the clock to find its been 30-45mins of lucid dreaming. It more seems like my thoughts than anything but when I see the time go so fast I have to only think that have been dreaming.

Just like in my MSLT naps I could swear that I was awake the whole time but in all my naps I went to sleep and into REM for most of them, weird thing is that I could hear the tech walking past the door when I was supposedly asleep?

Guess this is just a side effect of the N?

JasonJason
    Keymaster

Pwn seem to have a hard time differentiating between sleep and wake. It’s a weird phenomena but most people don’t seem to even know they slept in the MSLT.

Participant

From the time I was a child, my dreams have been very vivid and I remember most of them. (The exception to that would be the two years I took Xyrem. I didn’t dream at all on Xyrem.)
    I understand what you mean by lucid dreaming. I think it’s just been the past 10 or 15 years that I have been able to do this. I cannot choose to have a lucid dream, but once I am in that dream state, I can control what does and does not happen. Most often, my lucid dreams happen more toward the beginning of the night.
    I never really thought about it, but my lucid dreams are very similar to how my nighttime hallucinations begin. There is that same feeling of awareness. Only with the hallucinations, they are totally auditory, and they are terrifying. That was one of my favorite things about Xyrem… No nighttime hallucinations!
    My favorite dreams are the ones where I am flying. They don’t happen often…maybe once a month. I have experienced those since I was a child, and they have always brought me joy! Any other pwn who fly in dreams?

Keymaster

Hmm, I wonder if alpha wave intrusion into REM could responsible for lucid dreaming

Participant

wow so spot on, finally able to relate with other people, yeah i lucid dream, can formulate the basis of the dream but when i am in deep sleep and state of dreaming, i usually 50/50 can or cannot control my dreams and have to live out whats going to happen, sometimes it will go how i want it to go but sometimes it wont go how i want it to go.

There are moments where i wake up so fast, and the dream scenario did not end and i woke up too early and i can try continue my dream sequence by pressing play button from the previous paused session.
    It is like a tape, either fast forward, press play, pause, backtrack, fasttrack,

Since i am a very science person, i also dream of like alternate realities and parallel universes, of what if i did this or what happen if my relatives were still alive, yeah and super powers. But my most phobic dreams are the ones when i am in outer space. I can teleport anywhere in the world but if i accidentally teleport to a different planet, moon, sun, outerspace oh man i am scared
    i know this is kind of weird but if i want to come out of my dreams, say i want to escape or in a terrified state of being chased or in a death-like situation, I can wake myself up by closing my eyes and trying to tense my ears.

Participant

definitely, and a lot of the time, i am in sleep paralysis and hallucinating, trying to wake up but ends up being a nightmarish experience of a endless loop of struggle and heavy pressure of my head throwing itself into a warped reality, most of the time i dont even fight it anymore, i let it play out and stay relaxed, even though i know i will wake up eventually

Participant

Forgot to say how I cope with the hallucinations at night. Once I understood what they were, the first few minutes would be scary, then I could be cognizant enough to say to myself, “You know what’s going on.” The fear would be replaced with irritation for the next hour while I drifted in and out.

This might be unique to me, because my hallucinations are almost totally auditory — whispers around my bed, with a presence that I perceive as malevolent (the typical “The Nightmare” by Henry Fuseli). What I learned is that since mine are through what I hear, I can instantly throw them off by replacing them with music. I used to use the radio on my clock, now I use earbuds with my phone. I have a playlist that lasts just 15 minutes or so, and it’s on the lowest volume so I can barely hear it. It works within literally a minute and I can go to sleep. I don’t know why it works, but it’s like it distracts that part of my brain long enough for me to fall asleep.

Something so simple, but it took me a year or so to figure it out. So I pass it on in the hopes that it helps someone else just learning to deal with it.

JasonJason
    Keymaster

Has anyone dreamed they were in bed having sleep paralysis and a hypnogogic hallucination? I’m pretty sure I was just dreaming.

Keymaster

My sleep paralysis almost always coincides with those “false start” dreams, aka, you think you’re up and moving only to find you’re back in your own bed. I go through a few iterations for this, realize I’m stuck in a lop, so I desperately try to open my eyes and move my limbs, but am unable to do so. Usually then I start telling my body to thrash, and after about ten secs or so, it’ll start to comply.

Participant

yep definitely dreaming that i am getting up and taking a shower and getting ready only to wake up and find out im still in bed, worst feeling ever and that you overslept haha

Participant

I dream often, very vividly and sometimes lucidly. Unfortunately, they are usually terrifying nightmares. I usually remember my dreams really well, especially because the contents of them can be so gruesome or haunting that they’re burned into my memory.
    I often confuse things that happened in a dream with reality. I also have some days where I will fall asleep deeply into a horrible nightmare, wake up enough to open my eyes but only see hallucinations, both visual and auditory, and then fall back asleep into the same nightmare.
    What is really difficult for me is that even when I know what I’m seeing/hearing is a hallucination (ex. hearing clacking of footsteps on a hard floor when my house is all carpet), I cannot stop them. I also cannot stop myself from falling back into a nightmare if I’m having a cycle as mentioned above. I feel so completely trapped that when I am finally free from the cycle of nightmare/wake up to hallucinations and sleep paralysis/nightmare/repeat, I am very emotional.
    I know this sounds overly dramatic, but I sometimes feel so traumatized by the whole experience that the feeling really haunts me and I fear sleep for a long time after. Thanks, narcolepsy. 🙁

Participant

I came across this article talking about ‘Sleep state switching’.
    PwN have an unstable/destabilized switch which means it can flip at the wrong time, and it can flip flop between sleep and wakefulness for longer than it should.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0896627310009748#fig5

There’s a section ‘Switches Gone Bad: The Example of Narcolepsy’ towards the end of the article.

Doesn’t necessarily help with the occurrence, but hopefully helpful with understanding. Especially as when you’re tired and/or stressed the switch is likely to be even less stable.

Keymaster

^Dats a good article. Sums up the science of N quite well. I may add that to the sleep disorder codex I’m working on.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.