Index Support Center Forums Other Sleep Disorders Are you a dream actor?

• This topic has 23 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 1 week ago by Laces1989. This post has been viewed 2315 times
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I have the most vivid, realistic dreams and they are so real. I wake up and it’s like, “oh yeah no worries, I found the papers I lost last week and put them over xx”??? Nowhere to be found… Realizes after searching for two hours that I must have been dreaming. Anyway, I always wake up in weird positions, grasps, etc. I used to as a teenager also have nightmares so terrifying that apparently I was able to teach myself a way to determine if I was dreaming by pinching myself in my sleep. I was able to recognize and say to myself in the dream whenever I was scared (and I could always actually feel scared, I remember the feeling just thinking about it now), that I would pinch the inside of my forearm and if it didn’t hurt then it was only a dream. It never hurt when I pinched. But I never dreamed any less and they never became any less terrifying until I got older.

Participant

@ferret As always, thank you for your input! It definitely helps to be able to share ideas and experiences with others who are able to relate to some of the characteristics that come along with this “lovely unique health problem”. 🙂

@tinyelephants
    Welcome, Johnna…Thank you for sharing your dream experiences…It can definitely be interesting! Having those vivid dreams can add a rather unusual dimension to the expression “Sweet dreams”. 🙂
    I saw on your introductory post that you are also an “outdoorsy” person. I’m going to try to get in at least a short hike this morning before it gets too hot. I haven’t stepped outside yet…so it might already be too hot. lol
    Again, thank you for your willingness to share your story as part of this journey!

Participant

@sleepy-rbd

Thanks Sleepy RBD. Yeah, “sweet dreams” is certainly not quite the expression I’d use sometimes lol. Night before last I took my Xyrem and started falling asleep and awoke right before I really fell into it smelling strong smoke. It was just my incense going out. No big deal, but it gave me a dream of having two stoves. One in the kitchen (which of course I have) and one in my bedroom. And I left them both on ALL DAY. And they both started smoking. I don’t remember now what ever happened, I remembered when I woke up, it wasn’t terrible or anything. But it’s weird is all how certain things like that effect our minds. I also woke up and the ceiling fan was on, so I’m assuming I turned it on whilst sleeping? Maybe I turned it on before and don’t remember but I usually don’t.

Yeah, I typically love the outdoors, but…summer in Georgia. Plus my medication is leaving much to be desired right now in my EDS symptoms so I’m having a hard time getting out and about. I live directly across the street (with just a small walk) from a nature preserve so it’s gorgeous!! I take my 10 month old son and our bulldog, they love it. We walk about 5 miles back and forth throughout the Chattahoochee River and I take photos along the way. It’s such a nice place.

I sure do hope you got to go on your hike and it wasn’t too hot when you got out! Enjoy!! Talk soon. So nice to “meet” you!

Participant

@tinyelephants
    I had a dream recently that reminded me of your stove dream because of the way that my surroundings were blended into the dream. I’ll try to post it later.
    I’ve been trying to expand my hiking lately and branched out to another turn in a trail that I had been taking. I came upon an amazing area of the river where there is a natural dam. You hike down from a bluff through a lovely forest that levels out as the path winds through the river’s flood plain until you reach the river’s edge…absolutely beautiful! I discovered the way that the trails intertwine a couple of days ago, but I wasn’t able to hike yesterday. I’m looking forward to getting out this morning.
    I woke up singing this morning, yes…singing. It was definitely better than some of the other things that I have done in my sleep and a more pleasant way to wake myself up. I couldn’t really go back to sleep after that, so I decided to go ahead and get up since I wanted to hike early anyway. 🙂

Participant

@sleepy-rbd

That sounds like an awesome way to wake up. It’s funny you mention wanting to expand your hiking, since my overflowing the sink incident a few weeks ago and becoming over the top frustrated on here, I went to the doctor and had some more tests run and they determined that nothing (again) was wrong with me. So at that point, I went to a psychiatrist and I was diagnosed with some things. So, basically, I have anxiety, ocd, ptsd, and ddd, which had begun to manifest itself into physical symptoms which is why I always thought something was wrong with me and also why none of the meds for my N were helping me. I have been titrating up on Effexor XR and started CBT and even got to lower my dosage of Nuvigil at this point. I can’t even begin to tell you how much better I feel so far already!! Anyway, point of me saying all of that is that I have been going to all KINDS of parks and forests and nature preserves around here. I know I’m not 100% and I won’t be for a long while but if you can get out there and be singing while you do it, DO IT!!!! 🙂 I love taking photos too while I’m out there. My profile photo is one I took of a Great Blue Heron on the Chattahoochee River about a week ago. He (or she) was gorgeous!!

I hope you had a marvelous hike!!!

Participant

@tinyelephants
    It’s good to hear that things are going better for you and that you have been able to get back out hiking and taking pictures! I know how much hiking, swimming, and other outdoor activities help to keep me going. The hike today was fabulous and I actually saw some others out on the trail enjoying the morning. During the weekdays, I am often the only hiker on parts of the trail, especially if we are there early. My husband, who is definitely the photographer in the family, grabs his camera when we head out and combines his hobbies of bird watching and photography. It’s a win-win outing.

The singing was definitely a good way to wake myself up. At least this time, it was a song without motions. When my children were young, I can remember a dream when I combined the singing with the motions to a children’s song about going fishing. I woke up after one of the larger gross motor moves in the song, still in the position of the move. (You just can’t make this stuff up. lol)

Participant

Oh my gosh haha!! Yeah I’ve had some pretty silly ones where I’ve felt that way too (like there’s no way someone could think anyone could make it up lol). I’m the same, usually the only one on the trail, or one of anyways, during the week. I am LOVING the cooler weather too. That’s so cool your husband likes bird photography, I love it! I’m glad your hiking and walk went nicely 🤗

Participant

@tinyelephants

My husband is quite the bird photographer and has the family given nickname of the “bird whisperer”. Unfortunately he was on a different trail the other day when a bald eagle flew right up the river from where I was sitting. It landed in the river upstream and stayed there for over twenty minutes. It was still there when I had to head back from the hike.

Here’s the dream that reminded me of your stove / incense dream where my mind or dream world seemed to take something that was going on in the environment and incorporate it into my dream….
    One evening my husband and I were coming back from an event in a town about 40 minutes from our house. It had been a busier than usual weekend and although it wasn’t late when we started home (between 7:00 and 7:30), I knew that I would probably not make it home without falling asleep. We had to stop at a store for a few things about halfway home and my husband ran in quickly while I waited in the car. As we continued on our way, my husband and I were talking, but I still fell asleep (not that unusual). I started dreaming about traveling on an overnight train through the countryside. It was a beautiful journey and one that reminded me of a trip that one of my daughters and I had taken years ago. When we reached our gravel and dirt driveway which winds through the woods with an overhanging canopy of trees, the train had entered a winding tunnel where the track was a little bumpier than what it had been. We bumped along until we were out of the tunnel and had arrived at the house. It was like I knew where I was and that I had made it home, but I could not wake up enough to get out of the dream or car. (I guess that I wanted to stay on the train and finish the journey.) I could hear my husband telling me to just wait there, but I couldn’t respond. I stayed in my seat until I finally woke up enough to get off the “train” and go inside…

I hope that you are continuing to improve…Please keep us posted when you can! Great butterfly photo!

Participant

Question-I’m not really sure what’s normal and and what’s not. I slept walked a ton as a kid, and I mostly have grown out of it when I was 15 but even as a 31 yr old I occasionally sleep walk but more commonly slee talk. I actually am sometimes aware I’m sleep talking but I can’t stop myself from doing it. I definitely don’t walk around the house acting out dreams, but my husband says I have hit, slapped, and kicked him in my sleep and I know I cry and whimper in my sleep with bad dreams and nightmares. Is this normal for dreaming?

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.