Index General Discussion The Science of N Brain Voids on MRI

• This topic has 17 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 3 months ago by cnlmustard. This post has been viewed 2118 times
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant

(I just wondering, did this site just start, like this week?!)
    I received the gift of finding a neurologist last year, who actually is a real human being too!
    That’s sarcastic I know, but after going through six in three years, he was truly a Godsend.

He didn’t like the quality of hospital MRI’s, so he bought and setup his own in his own clinic! (3 Tesla) So I got to take a ride last month, and the technician’s report was extremely detailed.

On my followup, he translated the med-speak on it, and said the MRI can actually image the areas of lost brain mass due to hypercretion erosion. This creates little voids in places consistent with narcolepsy. He is working with others with this level of quality imaging to compare notes.

There’s some theoretical, that some “improper” connections can form in these voids as a patient ages, inducing unusual symptoms. Possibly my light sensitivity induced cataplexy could be one. This is all conjecture this early, and might be completly dis-proven, but to me it’s (as Spock would certainly say), Fascinating!

This website rocks!

FerretFerret

That really is fascinating cnlmustard. What we really need is another diagnostic tool that cuts through the limitations of the psg/mslt. I never thought of “gaps” as being diagnostic but it truly makes sense. How far along does the patient have to be in the loss of hypocretin neurons before a gap is obvious?
    Also, is there a dye that can be used in the scan that is specific to hypocretin neurons?
    And this site has been open just about three hours. Welcome back, sleepy old friend.

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

It took me a while to find a good neuro too. He doesn’t have his own machine, but he partners with a company that has a 3T and he insists on reading all his own radiology reports, as he’s also a radiologist. MDs like this are true gems, and it is so reaffirming to find them, so congrats! That’s interesting they are getting good at looking that that area of the brain now. It’s traditionally been difficult to look at grey matter, I’m given to understand. Anyways, sorry about your brain, but glad you found a doc who can analyze it!!!

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Sk8aplexySk8aplexy
    Participant

Interesting.

At some point within the last few years I read something somewhere, medical journal type, it said something along the lines of in the brains of dead Narcoleptics there were little gaps in a small area, possibly it was the amygdala. Wish that I could link to whatever it was, I also am very vaguely remembering the specifics, so I could have it a bit wrong but was along the same lines.

Participant

Well from these post comments, at least I know he’s not pulling my leg! 🙂
    They didn’t do any contrast (I don’t know why). But they used a “tuning cage” over my head, which I hever had in any prior MRI’s.

Something I noticed on the report, is that the hypothalmus paragraph seemed to say that they can’t see that very well. Maybe a limitation of the 3k. (Hospitals are allowed larger ones).

He says he drove the manufacturer techs crazy, spent months making them “tune it tight” to his liking. And that hospitals just accept their machines “as is”, so even though stronger, they don’t bother focusing them. He could be full of ka-ka on that, but he’s a tell it like it is doctor. BTW I’m live in New Orleans area.

FerretFerret

Next time you see him, could you please ask if he’s published any papers on this phenomenon. I’d love to read through his observations.

Keymaster

Nah, I bet tuning is a thing. Each building is different, so I bet the metal used in the structure affects things. Also, wouldn’t be surprised if location would change things too, due to the earth’s magnetic field, variances in the magnetosphere and geomagnetic activity, etc.

Participant

Hey DeathRabbit,
    Funny you would say that, cause he told me the troubles he had getting this set in the right part of the building, etc.
    The architect originally drew it on the 2nd floor, right over the ground level parking area. It was decided the effect of cars moving underneath, no matter how much it was shielded, would cause shadows on MRI’s! So they had to swap the 2nd and 3rd floor plans at the last minute during construction.
    The shielding metal in the walls were also forming rust in the high southeast humidity, and a custom A/C humidity system was designed to stop that. Because if the netal continued to rust it would throw the MRI off also.
    He also says the hydrogen in the air’s moisture in the MRI room can affect the image, so that’s controlled there too. (Hmmm, maybe they should have a tube for you to breathe away from the machine!)
    As you can tell, this doc was very talkative during visits!

I would imagine he is published, he says he speaks at conferences. As for mentioning names, it’s probably better just to private message each other, if that’s up yet on this forum.

Kudos to the webmasters!

Keymaster

I would imagine he is published, he says he speaks at conferences. As for mentioning names, it’s probably better just to private message each other, if that’s up yet on this forum.

Kudos to the webmasters!

Thanks, and yeah it is up! You navigate to someones profile and send from there, or you can send from your own. Pay attention to your inbox, as it’ll email you when you get a reply to a pm.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by TheRabbitKing.

EnginerdEnginerd
    Participant

I used to have a neuro whom I swear was actually a robot, but I haven’t seen him in years. That’s really interesting information regarding your MRI results, @cnlmustard. I hadn’t heard of anything like that. When I had an MRI of my brain, they found a large pineal cyst, but every doctor I met–with the exception of a neurosurgeon–swore up and down that the pineal cyst wasn’t causing any symptoms. It’s been awhile since I last looked at my brain, so I wonder how it looks now…

JasonJason
    Keymaster

Interesting. I had an MRI done on my noggin about 2 years ago because I felt very weird after 2 weeks on Xyrem. They found a small arachnoid cyst but said it was likely nothing.

Fast forward 1.5 years and during a second MRI, no cyst was reported but several MS type spots were. No clue why or what caused the changes.

Participant

Yeah Enginerd, I went through a few of those.
    My current one almost too much the opposite, entertaining,
    but very confident in his efforts.
    He passionately swears of the inferiority of most MRI’s,
    but bottom line is, he DID pull me out a hole.

I attached part of the report for anyone’s pleasure:

Participant

Pineal cyst here, no symptoms from it at this time. No mention of any voids though.

EnginerdEnginerd
    Participant

@cnlmustard Sorry I didn’t see your message until now. Your report is one of the most interesting MRI reports I’ve ever read; I didn’t realize loss of hypocretin-producing neurons would be visible on such a scale as to be seen in an MRI. Very interesting.

@Melster Do you know what size your pineal cyst is? I’m pretty sure I have symptoms from mine, but there doesn’t seem to be any real way to prove that since the symptoms can be attributed to other things.

Participant

Has anyone heard of whether narcolepsy is still considered an auto-immume disease?
    Four years ago a study linked it to the influence of flu shots in europe (kicks up your immune system), but then the authors retracted the study due to data srrors.

At the time I felt vindicated, because flu shots, and any bout of infection, would always push me deeper into the symptoms, for about a week or so. Before I was diagnosed in 1998, I used to call it the “sickness after the sickness”, and had no clue what was up. I caught the flu in 1998, and that was when the symptoms didn’t go away after the week. Ever.

So an auto-immune disease causes healthy tissue to be consumed by the immune system, isn’t that the way it works?
    This sounds scary to me if so. I’m hoping my logic is very medically flawed here somewhere.

Hey Ferret if you’re out there still, he’s too busy right now suing the MRI manufacturer for all thier screwups during the install!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.