Can't keep a job bc I can't wake up

Index Support Center Forums Living with N Can't keep a job bc I can't wake up

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by sleepykinney 1 month, 4 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 345 times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    sammysamyoh
    sammysamyoh
    Participant
    @sammysamyoh

Im 25 and have trouble keeping. Job because waking up is so difficult. Most of the time I manage to scurry into work on time-5ish minutes late. I’ve slept through the time I’m supposed to be there and since Ive worked there for a long time I’ve been given a lot of grace but I’m starting a new job soon where I’ll probably have to leave at 7am. I’ve tried two bell alarm clocks along with my phone alarm clock, going to bed and waking up at the same time every day, taking meds when I get up, reducing my sleep meds,pretty much all I know. I’m mean to my parents when they try to wake me and don’t remember it at all. No matter what I seem to stumble back into bed. My boss called me 3 times this morning with my ringer on high and I didn’t hear it once . I’m so stuck. I’m going to start school at night so I need to work during the day

claireburke
    Participant
    @claireburke

I feel your pain! I’m 37 now, but by your age I had been fired from 26 jobs, mainly because I couldn’t t get out of bed. I was diagnosed with narcolepsy at age 32 and it’s still a regular struggle. After many versions and trials, What’s worked best for me is to set multiple alarms, in another room. I found it just too easy to turn off a phone alarm without remembering. The first one is set at least half an hour before I need to get up. I have to get out of bed to turn off the alarm and beside the alarm I have a glass of water and a dish of modafinal (I can’t open pill bottles when I’m tired). I also pre-make coffee the night before, and turn it on at the first alarm. At the second alarm I still have to get out of bed to turn off, but my pills have kicked in and I can usually force myself to stay up at that point. Without the meds it’s impossible though, and I’m not always successful. Sometimes I go through all that and the idea of showering is just too exhausting and I go back to bed, even with the high dose of meds. I feel ya sister! Good luck!

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster
    @jasonm

@sammysamyoh you might want to try one of those Philips blue light alarms. It’s almost impossible for me to go back to sleep with that thing.

Hope you get to feeling better! Feel free to reach out if you need anything!

Athene
    Participant
    @athene

I absolutely also feel your pain on this. Personally, this has been the most frustrating aspect of narcolepsy for me.

I’ve tried everything I can to wake up in the mornings, and no matter what, it’s extremely difficult to do so. I have a convoluted morning ritual and still don’t always manage to wake up when I’m supposed to (or want/need to).

Ultimately, the best thing that works for me is my partner – and even this isn’t always guaranteed to work! I’ve advised him no matter what, he MUST get me up in the morning and not let me lie or sit down until I’m fully awake (as much as I can be as a PWN). We have an understanding that no matter what I say to him, he won’t take it to heart as I’m apparently quite grumpy when he tries to wake me. (of course, I don’t remember any of it)

Other than that, things that are helpful are:

– setting multiple alarms at staggered time points
    – alarms in different locations to force yourself to walk to another room
    – alarms with different noises (one radio, one traditional beep-beep, one with a music track, and so on)
    – pills with a glass of water ready to be taken ASAP
    – taking the pills when the first alarm goes off – even if I fall back asleep, give the tablets a headstart to help me wake up for the next alarm
    – one of those high intensity lights to really illuminate the bedroom (ideally as part of an alarm or on a timer so it will turn on regardless of what you’re doing)

I don’t know what the regulations in the US are (assuming you’re US-based), but is there “reasonable adjustment” disability/accessibility legislation, and is a staggered work day considered one such adjustment? My employer has been really understanding and allows me to start later and finish later under the “reasonable adjustment” allowance for disabled employees.

Hope you’ll be able to find a routine that helps! I’m still trying to perfect mine as well!

TheRabbitKing
    TheRabbitKing
    Keymaster
    @deathrabbit

I never have too much trouble getting out of bed these days at least (used to be terrible) but I usually just feel like brain foggy garbage for most of the day.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

sleepykinney
    sleepykinney
    Participant
    @sleepykinney

I have such a hard time waking up! Especially now that its fall and its staying dark out later. It seems like that always effects me really bad. During the summer I’m fine, but when fall and winter hit, I physically can not get up in the morning before 7am no matter what I do. I am VERY lucky I have an understanding boss, otherwise my career would have ended a long time ago.
    Any recommendations would be super helpful! I’ve tried just about everything, I think.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.