Index Support Center Forums Treating Narcolepsy Dexedrine vs Adderall

• This topic has 7 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 8 months ago by Jason. This post has been viewed 2923 times
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    JasonJason
    Keymaster

Adderall contains 75% dextroamphetamine and 25% levoamphetamine. Dexedrine is 100% dextroamphetamine. I’ve found Dexedrine much more tolerable than Adderall. Has anyone else had a similar or differing experience?

Participant

I’m not sure on Adderall but I have been taking straight Dex for about 9 months and I have found that it is frying my brain a bit. Some days are better than others when I take it which I find a bit strange, I was originally prescribed 30mg/daily (5mg tabs) but found it to be way too much and I am 6 foot tall and weigh a 110kgs. I very rarely got to those 6 tabs a day and now I have about 3-4.

By tolerable what do you mean exactly? – having to increase the dose for the desired result or your personal reactions/symptoms to the meds over time?

JasonJason
    Keymaster

Tolerable as in adverse reactions. Adderall has more peripheral side effects like elevated heart rate, etc but doesn’t seem to have any benefits in N over Dexedrine. Amphetamines are weird. My doctor started me on 20ng of adderall xr. It did nothing, zip, nada. So he said take two. Holy crap, way too much. 30mg was perfect for me. Everyone reacts differently to them. Some can get by in 10mg. Others need 60mg.

Participant

Have you tried Ritalin or Ritalin LA?

Dex is a weird one like you said as I have some days its great and other days it can cook my brain, other problem with amphetamines is not eating and dry mouth which can also affect blood sugar and give a false positive to side effects of the meds which is just really down to not enough food.

I haven’t tried long acting amphetamine, I do have a unopened box of the Ritalin LA which I haven’t tried yet as the racemic Ritalin may be giving me some weird side effects, still in trial atm. I will try and report some more on this over the next few days.

Overall the Dex is the best thing for me I am finding, even though it can be a rolling of the dice on any given day.

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

I hated amphetamines so much. Felt like I was having to hold back a bunch of bottled up crazy on them, muscle would spasm, my jaw would lock and ache. It blows my mind how many ppl abuse meth around here. I’m pretty sure a recreational level dose would cause me to rip my skin off or something.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

JasonJason
    Keymaster

Amphetamines can be a little tricky to use consistently. Food can have a big impact on their rate of absorption. Personally I prefer taking them with food. It slows down the absorption and makes them less harsh for me. Taking them with acidic foods greatly diminishes their bioavailability, so things like juice should be avoided.

Try playing with your diet and see what you prefer.

RemmymaRemmyma
    Participant

The biggest (and their are many) adverse reaction I’ve had on Adderall is what I can only describe as ADD/ADHD. I’ve always been an introvert and somewhat shy, but I noticed (primary in the initial stages) after starting Adderall that I would ramble, go off subject, talk in circles, even talk so much my throat would get sore. Along with dry mouth and constantly having to be moving. I’ve just accepted it because the benefits of being awake outweighs the side effects of the medicine. But I didn’t know their was a difference between Adderall & Dexedrine. I thought one was just generic for the other.

JasonJason
    Keymaster

There’s definitely a difference. Dry mouth will probably be less problematic on Dexedrine than Adderall. Adderall has more physical effects than Dexedrine whereas Dexedrine is more mental stimulation. I mean given Adderall is 75% Dexedrine, it’s not miraculously different but for me it was very noticeable. I think Adderall is inferior if your problem is EDS. There’s really only one way to figure out which is better for you and that’s to try both.

Adderall also felt more aggressive to me. Like I’d be hostile or irritable. Given Dexedrine should have less cardiovascular side effects, I think it’s a no brainer to try it over Adderall. If you end up preferring Adderall, you can always switch back.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.