Disposing of Xyrem after 24 Hours

Index Support Center Forums Treating Narcolepsy Disposing of Xyrem after 24 Hours

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by WV_narcoleptic 5 months ago. This post has been viewed 217 times

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    SDNarc
    Participant
    @sdnarc

Greetings all!

I’m sure this is posted somewhere, and I have searched with no fruitful gain, but does anyone know why it is recommended that after mixing xyrem with water (when you are preparing to take the medication) that you should dispose of it after 24 hours if not used?

I assumed it had something to do with the general thought process associated with leaving anything out for more than 24 hours. Did someone tamper with it? switch it out for plain water? roofie it…oh wait…
    But realistically is there a reason for this scientifically? Does it break down or become ineffective or harmful?
    The most I could find was that someone was advised especially not to store it in the refrigerator and then take it?

Xyrem in it’s prescription bottle is sodium oxybate and water correct? So adding water to it shouldn’t do anything but dilute it yes? So if I sleep through my alarm and miss a dose, then for whatever reason don’t use that dose the next night or go out of town the next couple of days, (I live alone, so nobody will stumble upon my un-used dose) then instead of pouring hundreds of dollars down the drain, could I not just use that dose that is already mixed?

And the refrigerator thing I’ve seen two places, one might have even been on here somewhere, any reason for this? I can’t think of anything keeping it cold would do but maybe recrystallize some of the salt out of solution maybe? That seems like a stretch though, so I was just curious if anyone heard of anything over the years.

Thanks for any insight!

WV_narcoleptic
    WV_narcoleptic
    Participant
    @wv_narcoleptic

SDS used to say you couldn’t take xyrem if you drank alcohol in the last 24 hours, even though alcohol is metabolized fully long before that… sometimes it’s hard to tell what they say is valid and what is overkill BS.
    The water can go bad in 24 hours, I presume, if you are an extreme backwasher. I waterfall mine or pour into a cup. As long as the dosing bottle is clean and the diluted xyrem is kept out of sunlight, it should keep for a long time. In fact, I used to make them up ahead of time for an entire week.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.