Index Support Center Forums Living with N Excessive Daytime Sleepiness ……

• This topic has 14 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 1 month ago by Wonderfulworld. This post has been viewed 608 times
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Continuing this discussion from NN days – and the term sleep attack – can EDS be referred to as an episode?? Some episodes result in falling asleep, some episodes don’t, some last for a long time, others are shorter?

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

I think about it in reverse of most people. I think of EDS as constant, but I get respites just like normal ppl will get second and third winds if they stay up way late.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Participant

So when EDS gets stronger at some point(s) in the day – what do you call that?

Keymaster

I usually call it a wave of EDS/sleepiness. I don’t like “sleep attack” because it can lead to confusion among new PWN who might conflate it with cataplexy. However episode is probably even better. EDS episode…I like it 🙂

Participant

I’m just throwing words around here – I think improving the labels may help with awareness – Excessive Daytime Sleepiness is a poor label – makes people think you sometimes feel excessively sleepy – ie when you’re sleeping, but other times not – when you’re awake.
    Without wanting to over word it(!!):- an acute EDS episode is when you can’t stay awake

Keymaster

If you want to submit an official write-up for EDS to add to here and talk about the difference between chronic and acute episodes, I will absolutely add it to this page 😀 https://www.narcolepsysupport.org/resources/sleep-disorder-codex/

Participant

Liking the codex page!!

JasonJason
    Keymaster

@jacky I couldn’t agree more about the crappy labels. My favorite is irresistible sleep attacks. Like huh? You can’t resist them? Ever? There have only been a few times I absolutely couldn’t fight one. But based on the description, you’d think it’d be impossible. Sleep attacks tend to make me anxious weirdly, just like sleep paralysis. I feel like my body is betraying me so I have to fight. I feel a lot better if I give in but my God it’s hard for me to let go and give in.

It seems most people associate sleep attacks as episodes of cataplexy, which is a totally separate entity. I blame the media.

Keymaster

I get the anxiety during “sleep attacks” too, if they happen at work or some other time/place where I am forced to fight them. Even when the episode its over, it seems like I cant keep a salient thought in my head for the rest of the day. It just trashes my brain.

FerretFerret

I don’t blame the media so much as I blame the “official” descriptions. Descriptions, incidentally, probably made by people who have not experienced the problems.
    I don’t get attacked by sleep episodes… but I do get “ambushed”. Anybody else feel this subtlety in language?

JasonJason
    Keymaster

I feel like both are to blame. The media hurts it for laypersons and the official description hurts medical professionals that rarely encounter N like primary care physician.

https://youtu.be/X0h2nleWTwI

Classic cataplexy vs sleep attack confusion.

Participant

I think we have an opportunity here with DeathRabbit’s codex for PwN to create the definitions Def worth a shot!

Keymaster

I’m gonna work on the medication section over the weekend. Figured I’d cover TCAs, SARIs, Stimulants (might break this up into amphetamine-based and ritalin-class drugs), the vigils, and Xyrem. If anybody has any good source material they know of and trust that I could use to write some good summaries, that’d be awesome.

Participant

Does anyone use wearables to try and bring you back to reality during EDS? I’m I’m looking for something I can wear that I can set a timer on to preferably vibrate vs. make any audible noise (I’ll be using this in an office setting). Fitbit works great but I can’t set and change the frequency of the reminders. Having a cell phone out all the time isn’t ideal either. Thanks in advance for the ideas!

Participant

EDS is that when you are tired all day or when you are okay and all of a sudden feel so tired you just want to sleep? Or is that sleep attack? I get anxiety, too, when I keep going. I usually go to bed if possible to avoid that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.