Favorite TV show of all time

Index General Discussion Off-Topic Favorite TV show of all time

This topic contains 23 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by WV_narcoleptic 1 month ago. This post has been viewed 663 times

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster @jasonm

Stranger things is the first show I just couldn’t stop watching for the first time in years. Breaking Bad didn’t live up to the hype for me.

Are there any new shows anyone would recommend?

Ferret
    Ferret
    Moderator @ferret

I downloaded and watched two mini series from this year. Both left me gobsmacked and rerunning the shows through my head.
    One is a western called “Godless” and the other is “The Sinner”.

Sk8aplexy
    Sk8aplexy
    Participant @sk8aplexy

I was really entertained by ‘The Leftovers’ on HBO, especially so the first season.
    It may just be the soundtrack is emotionally heavy and I was really digging it.
    The premise of the show is far out there and many might call it dark, but whether or not it all gets tied together or is maybe like David Lynch weirdness in a other sort. -I’m not great at explaining television..!-

Enginerd
    Enginerd
    Participant @enginerd

For newer shows…I liked Goliath (Amazon Prime exclusive) and am eagerly awaiting Season 2. I have no idea what Amazon is doing with it, though. It’s been over a year since the first season debuted.

Both seasons of Fargo (available on Hulu) are also really good, especially Season 1.

American Horror Story (available on Netflix) is decent if you’re into twisted, strange, horror. I really liked Season 1, Season 2 was pretty good, and I’m on Season 3, but losing a little interest. I heard some of the better seasons are yet to come, so I may continue to watch. Ryan Murphy isn’t great at crafting shows with longevity in mind; usually the first one or two seasons are good and it’s all downhill after that (I’m looking at you, Nip/Tuck and Glee).

Along those lines, American Crime Story: The People v. OJ Simpson (available on Netflix) was well done.

I’ve heard good things about Mindhunters (Netflix), so I might watch that next and see what it’s all about.

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster @jasonm

@ferret My mom was raving about Godless! Apparently it’s not as mean as Deadwood. It’s my next show on my list.

Oh and Rome is absolutely amazing if anyone hasn’t seen it. It’s on HBO and Amazon prime.

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster @jasonm

@enginerd I watched The People v. OJ despite my general hatred of legal shows. Holy shit it was fantastic! It was by far the most realistic representation of the weirdness of litigation I’ve ever seen. The attorney interactions, egos and backstabbing are hilariously accurate. I have to deal with people like that constantly. It’s one of my favorite miniseries of all time.

Enginerd
    Enginerd
    Participant @enginerd

@Jason The People v. OJ Simpson was really good; you’re making me want to watch it again already and it’s only been a year since I’ve seen it. Now, I’m really looking forward to The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story, especially because I vividly remember when that happened and all the news coverage. I used to summer in South Florida as a kid, so I was living about 30 – 40 minutes north of Miami when Versace’s murder happened and the manhunt for Cunanan took place. It was a really intense week in that part of the country; everyone was perpetually on the lookout for a serial killer until police confirmed he was holed up in a houseboat in Miami.

I’m sure it’s different for you, but I don’t mind legal shows if they’re done well–and I find that they’re only done well if executed by HBO, Netflix, and the like. Anything for mainstream television usually doesn’t catch my interest. That said, I’m watching The Firm right now. John Grisham’s writings usually translate into a solid cinematic experience!

I think I’ll watch the new season of 13 Reasons Why when it comes out tomorrow, I’ll definitely continue to watch House of Cards, and I need to return to watching Narcos. Netflix hasn’t failed me yet! And I may be a little late to the game, but I started watching Mad Men recently and am really enjoying it.

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster @jasonm

@enginerd Most legal shows for me are akin to when a physician watches House. The lack of realism just sort of ruins it because I’m constantly thinking, that’s totally not how it works! I enjoyed the Grinder though since it’s basically making fun of legal dramas, haha.

The Rainmaker is my favorite of Grisham’s films. Primal fear is good too! I think part of the reason I liked OJ so much is that they couldn’t take any liberties with the legal stuff since the entire trial was on TV. The interactions between Bailey, Shapiro and Cochran are amazing. Bailey’s subtle revenge against Shapiro made me laugh out loud. And the guy that plays Cochran is an amazing actor. Made me wish they would make a show just about him.

Mad Men is great too!

WV_narcoleptic
    WV_narcoleptic
    Participant @wv_narcoleptic

The best written shows of all time were Barney Miller and All in the Family.
    Love ANY Star Trek (minus deep space 9 with the exception of the episodes were they were at war with the Cardassians)

My favorite Dr. Who Doctor is William Hartnell.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.