Inspiration

This topic contains 44 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Ferret 1 month ago. This post has been viewed 1256 times

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

Or we can live long and prosper 😉

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster @jasonm

TNG is loaded with fantastic and inspirational quotes. I never watched the entire original series.

I watched an episode of Orville last night, which is sort of a spoof of Star Trek and it was actually pretty funny. Probably the best comedy I’ve seen in awhile.

Obviously this is pretty off topic now but to steer it back, I’m inspired by Elon Musk’s determination to get to Mars. Everyone keeps doubting him and he keeps proving them wrong. We haven’t had this level of space technological advances since the original space race. It’s kind of exciting! If you are a nerd anyway!

TheRabbitKing
    TheRabbitKing
    Keymaster @deathrabbit

Orville is pretty grand. As far as Elon Musk goes, I kinda think he’s a horrible person, but he does good things for space exploration, so I’m ok with him I guess. His comments on AI are a bit silly though. The machine learning AI, aren’t really in any danger of turning into skynet. I’m more worried about automation getting rid of 95% of all jobs. That will be the true AI apocalypse.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

Not really. Imho, it will be no different that the Industrial Revolution. Change is inevitable and people have to change accordingly. There’s a lot of jobs that no longer exist… like emptying the change from phone booths. And please don’t ask me what a phone booth is… the company that used to make them doesn’t exist any more.
    Evolution applies to a lot more than human beings.
    And, believe it or not, you used to have to get up and walk to the TV to change the channel.

Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

‘Tis the season…all year.
    Kindness

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    TheRabbitKing
    TheRabbitKing
    Keymaster @deathrabbit

I’m not thaaat young. I remember having to tune a the uhf radio on a black and white set with bunny ears 😛 And yea, with the automation, I’m sure we can sort it eventually. I’m thinking at least one generation is going to be very very screwed though, while society adapts.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster @jasonm

You’d like to think automation would bring about freedom from want but it’s not looking so good at the moment.

I don’t know much about Elon Musk other than I like that he wants something to look forward to. A new adventure. And the government doesn’t give two craps about anything bold anymore. AI could be very scary if it ever becomes truly self aware. But who knows when or if that will ever happen.

Ultimately we are going to need less and less human labor and society is going to have to adapt. Most counties aren’t as brutally against social welfare as the United States.

Sk8aplexy
    Sk8aplexy
    Participant @sk8aplexy
    Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster @jasonm

Lol I’d probably say Elon has a better understanding of AI. Steven Hawking has also made similar statements. Facebook is more interested in spying on people and using AI to sell you crap. Listening in on phone calls is creepy as hell.

Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

Thought for today..

Attachments:
    Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

Thought for the day…

Attachments:
    Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

Thought for the day…

Attachments:
    Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

Thought for the day…

Attachments:
    Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

Thought for the day…

Attachments:
    Ferret
    Ferret
    Participant @ferret

Thought for the day…

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.