Index General Discussion Off-Topic Just Wondering…

• This topic has 17 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Laces1989. This post has been viewed 1075 times
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    FerretFerret

What everyone’s white blood cell count is normally? Or what it has been when you’ve been fighting an infection?
    I’m asking because I wonder if a skewed (or delayed) immune response is one of the things causing the destruction of orexin/hypocretin neurons in cases of Type 1 Narcolepsy.
    My white cell count has always been mediocre… around 4,000 per cubic mm. Even when I had to go for an emergency appendectomy, it was only 9,800 per cubic mm.
    To quote Doctor ” It can’t be her appendix, her white count is normal “. My appendix resides in formalin at The Scarborough General Hospital as (quoting Surgeon) “The most rotten, intact appendix that he’d ever seen”.
    So, curious… what’s your white cell count?

JasonJason
    Keymaster

@ferret Interesting thought! Mine seems to be around 7 K/mcl (ref 3.6 – 10.2) from childhood until now. The only one I had that was higher than that, I felt like absolute hell after two weeks of Xyrem but didn’t seem to be sick and it was 9. Nicotine seems to suppress the immune system (not sure about WBC), which may be protective in some ways. My only lab that has been a bit off consistently in childhood was a slightly below reference range MCV, which is a marker for anemia. Of course no one bothered to do any iron tests since it was only slightly below reference but randomly as an adult a couple years ago my HCT was slightly elevated, normal MCV and iron studies showed iron deficiency. Never figured out why I was iron deficient despite being a meat hound.

I’m not an expert on the immune system by any means but immunoglobulin therapy may be, at least temporarily effective for treating new onset N. My mom has some weird mild subtype hypogammaglobulin deficiency that doesn’t fit into any of the known causes very well. Many are genetic. Never had mine tested but deficiencies in those are associated with increased risk of infection and autoimmune disease. I very rarely get sick though.

FerretFerret

@Jason
    Yes, Nicotine is an immunosuppressant. That is a confirmed link in the Nicotine Cheat Sheet. It is probably the reason why neither the cataplexy nor the Narcolepsy showed up until two years after I quit. If I hadn’t quit, they might never have developed. Damned if you do and damned if you don’t.

JasonJason
    Keymaster

@ferret It’s so hard to determine why anything happens because there are so many friggin variables that are impossible to account for. It’s definitely possible that cessation caused it to worsen. Or perhaps it would have happened anyway just further down the road. It’s great there’s pure nicotine products without all the cancer causing junk now. Tobacco is a nasty substance. Thanks to all these newer products, we should see much better evidence down the road.

FerretFerret

In response to your statement “Nicotine seems to suppress the immune system
    (not sure about WBC), which may be protective in some ways.”
    I’ve already addressed the suppression of the immune response but was curious about WBC count when smoking. If you google, you will find that smoking usually increases WBC count.
    So, if my WBC count is/was always around only 4,000 per cubic mm and it was INCREASED from my smoking, then I’d say I would normally have had a very very low white count and a total inability to fight infection on an important scale.
    Interesting, eh?

JasonJason
    Keymaster

@ferret So long as you’re still within the reference range, it may not be anything to worry about. I suppose the most important question is do you frequently get infections? If not, then you’re probably fine. If yes, then maybe. It can be caused by several dietary deficiencies (no clue what your diet is like) including B12, Copper, Zinc, and Folate. Has your WBC count always been low? Or is it something new? What’s your diet like? Do you eat much meat?

FerretFerret

Yes, I’m a carnivore. Chicken, salmon, beef (various forms) and a VERY healthy diet with lots of salads and various veg.
    All vitamins and minerals are ticketyboo and I don’t get infections. I also vape Nicotine.
    I’m not worried at all. The ONE thing that is wrong with me is that I have a very high hemoglobin and hematocrit especially for a female. Hemoglobin 17 mg/dl. and Hematocrit 52. But I live at a high altitude as well. This used to be taken care of by donating blood every three months and heavy menstruation. Now, since I’m nearly 67, nobody wants my blood and I’ve been put on blood pressure meds to flex the walls because there’s TOO much traffic on the highway.
    When it gets to 19 mg/dl, they will have to drain me a bit because that’s dangerous territory.
    What a waste on the blood donation front. I’ve got super octane red blood cells and nobody can benefit from them. And I’d much rather donate than take the meds anyway. Sigh.

JasonJason
    Keymaster

@ferret Have you been tested for apnea lately? I just ask because those elevated markers are strongly associated with apnea. Could just be the elevation I suppose but if it’s been awhile since you were tested, you might look into it, particularly since age and N increase the risk of apnea a ton. They have home testing for apnea now so it’s a lot less of a pain. And the treatment devices are much, much better now.

The human body is a fascinating machine.

FerretFerret

@Jason…Thanks so much for the link! I guess anything’s possible and I haven’t been tested for apnea lately. Didn’t have it before but who knows? My dogs haven’t told me that I snore either. 😉 I will definitely look into this.
    @jasonm

FerretFerret

BTW, something’s weird about the notification system. Either the names under avatars should be changed or ?

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

https://www.narcolepsysupport.org/forums/topic/cataplexy-goes-away-with-age/

We discussed that in this thread. Long story short the nickname changes are not real name changes and if anybody wants me to change their name actually, I can

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

FerretFerret

I read that. However, unlike the Narcolepsy Network Forum, when you start with the @ and then the first couple of letters, drop down choices in blue are not offered here. So you may think that you’re sending someone a notification within a thread to their e-mail but it doesn’t happen unless you KNOW exactly what their notification name really is. Under my avatar, ferret is with a capital F (not that I care one way or the other). Under Jason’s avatar his name is Jason but for him to get a notification it must be @jasonm
    Confusing.

JasonJason
    Keymaster

@ferret it’s because my nickname is set to Jason, which is not my username. The @ function only works for the username at this time. It’s on my to do list to fix.

And you’re very welcome! Menopause is also a risk factor just fyi. Snoring is associated with apnea but you can also have apnea and never snore just to make things more complicated! Do you use an android phone by chance?

If it is apnea, seems to me like treating the cause rather than the symptoms would be a better strategy! I’m not sure what sort of facilities you have over there but finding a good apnea doctor seems to be a challenge around here. Some are still using those cheap, giant loud machines with poor patient compliance and then don’t know how to properly adjust the machines for each patients specific needs. I wish you were closer to my area. My sleep doctor is actually a pulmonologist and is absolutely superb with treating N and apnea.

Oh and on a final note, my grandpa was b12 deficient despite growing his own organic food and eating a healthy diet. As people age, they tend to be less able to absorb it and then there’s an autoimmune disease that can also make it very hard to absorb b12.

FerretFerret

Yes, I do have an android phone at the moment. Samsung S4 which I bought from a friend for a hundred U.S. dollars. My iPhone 6 plus is dead after only 18 months and I’m not a heavy user. Antenna (flex cable) and logic chip are both faulty and they can’t fix it here… not even at the Apple Hospital in Guadalajara. I am soooo not impressed with the iPhone… 4,5,6 and some 7’s all have the same problem according to google. Stop with the fancy, dancy Apple and fix the BASICS. Your phones AIN’t CHEAP!
    The S4 is kinda like milkin’ a mouse to type on with large hands and long fingers.
    Looking at the BLU Vivo XL3 Plus.
    BTW, my iPhone died at the same time that my landline and internet was cut. THAT really pushed me over the edge since I had been able to use it as a hotspot when telmex was acting up.
    ZIP, NADA, no communications of any kind in the case of an emergency. At least my neighbor let me hook into his wifi a couple of times a day… wrote e-mails on the hood of my car where I could get his signal.

JasonJason
    Keymaster

There’s an app on android that’s free (or at least used to be) that tracks sleep and can record noises such as snoring. I think sleep as android? I can’t remember what it was called exactly but you might look into it if you are curious if you snore and don’t realize it!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.