Index Support Center Forums Living with N Knee replacement and sleep

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Eraisia. This post has been viewed 601 times
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I am getting knee replacement surgery in a couple of weeks. It’s apparently an excruciating, painful, and long recovery. I will to need to go off Xyrem and any other sleep medication while I am taking the major pain meds. I’m a little worried about what that’s going to be like. Anyone else have experience with recovery from a major surgery like this? Tips? Thank you so much.

(Also, hello! First time saying anything here!)

Pereise1Pereise1
    Participant

Hopefully the opiates they give you for the surgery help offset being off xyrem. Let us know if they help or if you feel like you’re in danger of becoming addicted. Theoretically, PWN shouldn’t be able to become addicted to opiates and they should actually help with symptoms.

Participant

I haven’t had any problems with opiates in the past when I have been prescribed them, so I am not particularly worried about that. I just don’t want to keep waking up all night, you know? Thankfully my only bothersome symptom is EDS, and I’ll have the flexibility to just sleep if I want to to. I have not taken any opiates since my diagnosis (about a year ago), so I am curious to see how I feel. Maybe that’s why I never understood why people would use opiates recreationally.

So glad I don’t have to navigate cataplexy, too.

Participant

So, following up post surgery, I have just been sleeping whenever and wherever. I mostly can’t walk more than 5-10 min at a time, and spend most of my time in a recliner. Overnight sleep is fragmented, but has gotten better now that the acute post-op pain is getting a little better. I had my head explode a few times the first night I was home, which is a new thing for me!

Opiates do help with pain, but I had to cut way down because HOLY CONSTIPATION! I can’t tell how they affect EDS, though.

FerretFerret

Take a stool softener like Senokot. My hubby was on lots of different pain meds and that’s what he did. Very gentle natural stimulation.

Participant

I agree with @ferret, when I had surgery, and was on pain killers post op, Senokot worked wonderfully when my body, um, didn’t.

Participant

Thanks all. I think I have the gut under control now. Colace plus miralax plus prunes and dried apricots. I had to get things started with magnesium citrate though.

EraisiaEraisia
    Participant

I have experience with a knee intervention, after I suffered a ski accident two years ago. I was experiencing a lot of pain in my left knee due to a pretty serious sprain. My doctor advised to go to surgery but told me in advance that the recovery process would be difficult. Indeed, I had to do physiotherapy three times per week, and after two months, I started wearing as well an orthopedic knee brace from https://dunbarmedical.com/product-category/orthopedic-bracing-support/knee-brace-support-splint/. This brace really helped me, as it kept my knee in place and kind of speeded up the recovery process.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.