Index Support Center Forums Non Rx Strategies Lavender for increased slow wave sleep?

• This topic has 7 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 years, 2 months ago by Sleepy RBD. This post has been viewed 951 times
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    FerretFerret

This link is from 2005 but is still interesting. I may just run right out and buy that lovely lavender baby lotion that is supposed to enhance bedtime relaxation.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16298774

JasonJason
    Keymaster

A meta-analysis from 2011 suggested it may be beneficial for light-moderate insomnia. That’s better than most natural products.

Participant

I love the scent of lavender. I had tried to grow it in my garden for years and was finally able to get one survivor. The soil that we have and probably the area where we live are not the best combination for success, but for some reason one of my last attempts made it. I wish that I could remember the variety and I would try to find another one.

For Christmas, one of my daughters gave me a variety of lavender scented bath products that are supposed to help with relaxation / sleep. I would like to be able to report that I have experienced remarkable results; but….at least, I can say that I am enjoying the products and definitely appreciate the thought put into the gift by my daughter. Sometimes I put a tiny bit of the oil on the bed linens. If any of this helps even a small amount, then for me it is worth giving it a try.

FerretFerret

I have about 12 feet of lavender growing in my garden and I water it just before sundown. The scent, even when not in bloom, is divine. It also keeps mosquitoes away. My two dogs like to stick their heads in it… ‘cuz it makes them feel like such pretty girls? Or?
    It likes morning sun, rich soil and it likes to be pruned so it doesn’t get woody stems. Same with citronella (except it likes morning to early afternoon sun) and I have about 15 pots of those too. I trim them back severely in the spring and they grow back bushier than ever. And, I make more plants with the trimmings.

Participant

Thanks for the tips! I have been more successful with rosemary and have some plants growing close to the lavender. While working in that part of the garden, just brushing up against the plants releases a combination of scents that is quite pleasant. You might have successfully inspired me to try again with the lavender and see what happens. ๐Ÿ™‚

Participant

As I mentioned above, I am a fan of lavender and lavender products. Recently, my husband bought a couple of new plants. Although I’ve never tried it, I think I might try transplanting them and continuing to grow them in pots. With that in mind, I spent some time this morning reading about how to, hopefully, have success with this endeavor. For the last week or so, the plants have been living in the pots from the nursery. During the day I have been putting them in a sunny spot out on the deck or back porch. Then in the late afternoon or at nighttime, I’ve been bringing them inside and putting them on the bedside tables. So far, this seems to be working; but I know I need to get them in some new pots soon. As I was searching for gardening tips, I also came across a couple of others links.

7 Essential Oils For Relaxation And Better Sleep

Lavender and the Nervous System

@ferret From your post above, it sounds like you’ve been quite successful with growing lavender in your garden. Have you had any experience with growing it in pots?

Hoping for successful gardening and sleep benefits! ๐Ÿ™‚

FerretFerret

I don’t have experience with growing them in pots but I will say they are sun seekers. My bugambilia (bougainvillea) have, unfortunately, shaded them and I lost them all this past winter. Friends who planted at the same time in a very sunny location report that they are now three feet tall and three feet wide. I may try again in pots against a sunny wall.
    I was also using an essential oil of lavender and dabbing it on all pulse spots (like a perfume) just before bed. Wrists, throat and just under the ear lobe. Night, night. I need to get some more and will probably have to order it from Amazon. BTW, French lavender is the most aromatic… and you can also get sleep masks with lavender seeds in them. I can’t wear the mask because it makes my face too hot.
    Also, if anyone has access to CHOICES in cannabis… any purple flowered variety with an Indica background has a lot more linalool in it. Granddaddy Purple or Purple Urkle come to mind.

Participant

Oh, no! I’m sorry to hear about your lavender in the garden! I hope you’ll have success with the pots. Keep us posted on how it goes and I’ll try to do the same.
    After telling my daughter how much I enjoyed the bath products, she has since given me other lavender gifts including a candle, lotion, and spray for bed linens. She sincerely wants to help her mom have a better night’s sleep. ๐Ÿ™‚

Many thanks for all of the other tips!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.