Index General Discussion The Science of N Long-Term Effects of Sleep Deprivation/Fragmentation

• This topic has 7 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 1 month ago by Athene. This post has been viewed 629 times
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    WWPWWP
    Participant

Subtitle: We’re f*cked. πŸ™

Updated to 2017.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5449441/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5449130/

Have a nice day! And sleep well. πŸ™‚

β€’ If you take, or plan to take, mind-altering drugs or supplements, read this book first:
    penguinrandomhouse.com/books/189611/anatomy-of-an-epidemic-by-robert-whitaker/9780307452429/
    β€’ Do not ever take internet health advice without first doing your own research, and always consult a health care professional. Each individual is unique - if you make a mistake, you may not be able to reverse the effects that may take decades to reveal themselves.
    β€’ Be kind to Mother Nature and the Little Ones! πŸ™‚

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

I’ve seen similar links in previous research. It’s a bad feel

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Sk8aplexySk8aplexy
    Participant

No surprise to me, in fact it’s validation or verification to the obvious and simple reality that the effects of broken or skewed sleep patterns results in consequences, which when you have regular sleep loss/disruption/fragmentation, a toll builds, and on comes a plethora of symptoms that can reach into any direction, be it physical or mental, in one’s life.

Everything is so wishy washy and kept obscure, it seems, whenever something has any bit of, say, darkness or heaviness to it. As forwards as we’d moved (in the US) in certain directions that is, in other directions we’ve more recently, really been put back and as, like the sublte of the negative effects that come from the broken sleep patters, there are real negative effects happening all over in behavior, thought processes, opinions, etc…

I’m venting here a bit, but speaking quite bluntly and I know I’m not alone in this train of thought. Sorry for making such ridiculous metaphors.

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

So millions of people getting bad sleep = Trump? That’s what you’re saying? πŸ˜›

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

WWPWWP
    Participant

So millions of people getting bad sleep = Trump? That’s what you’re saying?

Close! You have the equation backwards and the numbers are more like billions. The guy is the epitome of one of those hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucinatory nightmares that you just can’t escape. 😑

β€’ If you take, or plan to take, mind-altering drugs or supplements, read this book first:
    penguinrandomhouse.com/books/189611/anatomy-of-an-epidemic-by-robert-whitaker/9780307452429/
    β€’ Do not ever take internet health advice without first doing your own research, and always consult a health care professional. Each individual is unique - if you make a mistake, you may not be able to reverse the effects that may take decades to reveal themselves.
    β€’ Be kind to Mother Nature and the Little Ones! πŸ™‚

Sk8aplexySk8aplexy
    Participant

@TheRabbitKing LoL
    Not really at all where or around my mind was with it, nor intending it to go, in that moment. But sure why not, it could totally relate, similarly could or does the movie Idiocracy – look at the behavior there.!
    I live in the bible belt which may relate with part of my odd venting metaphor.

Think I was overall just getting at, the sort of information in that article is not presented to patients enough, I’m sure through certain statistics it becomes obvious, think of the common comorbidities and just the difficulty often with misdiagnosing or being a difficult patient (not in person but by category). Anytime I’ve had a doctor actually go into such depth, took a lot of repeated drilling of questions along with sort of digging deeper into the questions, and the responses I got were often very vague like, I had admittance of there not being enough understanding as well.

FerretFerret

There is a reason that sleep deprivation is a form of torture.
    But, let’s not be tooooo negative. Absolutely enormous strides have been made in the last fifteen years or so. Yeah, I know, not enough and not fast enough but huge improvements nevertheless.
    We just gotta keep pokin’ ’em with a stick and prodding them forward.

Participant

I don’t know about the US, but in the UK, sleep is the new health fad.

Too many people are suffering from sleep deprivation, and they have no idea how harmful it really is! Are you one of them? But don’t worry! Buy our stuff, get a proper night’s sleep, and you’ll experience better health!

There are so many sleep-related products being advertised to help you get the optimal night’s sleep. Assorted sleep trackers, light alarm clocks, mattresses, pillows, etc.

While I’m totally supportive of increasing awareness of the importance of sleep, it does make a few people think that your narcolepsy can be helped just by buying the right pillow. (I wish!)

There is a reason that sleep deprivation is a form of torture.

So true. I try to allude to this when people make a dismissive remark about narcolepsy. (usually along the lines of: at least it’s not cancer)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.