Looking for Support…

Index Support Center Forums Diagnosis Process Looking for Support…

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Natdoc. This post has been viewed 129 times
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    @sleepy_in_seattle

Hello all,

I apologize if this turns into a long babble. Basically, I’ve been struggling with EDS for as long as I can remember, even through high school I had to nap often (I’m 22 now), but this has gotten much worse over time. Over the past 1-2 years, my sleepiness started to interfere with my daily activities. I’m a neuroscience student, and I also work part-time, and I have a really hard time accomplishing the bare minimum. I recently went through the diagnosis process, however, as I have anxiety and have experienced seasonal depression, I am on Buproprion and Escitalopram. This obviously clouded things, as these drugs suppress REM, and it made the doctor suggest that my sleepiness was due to mental health problems (this is frustrating as I don’t believe that’s true). I also had a hard time falling asleep during the polysomnogram/MSLT as I was just so dang uncomfortable. If only my Dr. could see my brain waves each day, while trying to get through daily activities and while falling asleep in class, at coffee shops, on the bus, etc., just from closing my eyes for a moment. Therefore, my Dr. could only give me a POSSIBLE diagnosis of narcolepsy. She recommended that I start a low dose of Ritalin to get the sleepiness under control, but I declined as I know the abuse potential of these drugs and what they could do to my anxiety levels. I’ve been trying to take scheduled naps and establish a sleep routine, but nothing is helping. I’m having a really hard time getting through school, and have an internship at Harvard coming up and it would SUCK if I couldn’t be alert. Anyway, just looking for some insight from people with more knowledge about my diagnosis as well as some advice for treatment. Please help.

FerretFerret
    @ferret

@sleepy_in_seattle
    Well, the first thing I’d be doing is looking for another Doctor. She needs an attitude adjustment.
    So, let’s get down to the nitty gritty. What do you eat and drink… and when? What is your schedule for sleep and/or naps?
    I want total honesty please or nobody can guide you.
    Ever try CBD for anxiety? And have you tried to WEAN yourself off the meds?

Would love to try and help but there is far too little detail in your post except that your anxiety and frustration are very clear.

Participant
    @natdoc

sleepy-in-seattle
    Just my opinion but I would suggest weaning off all medications for the next 10 – 14 days and repeating the psg/mslt. I dont think that simply adding another drug that you would also have to stop before proper testing is a very good idea.
    You are correct in that your testing is probably not accurate due to medications but your Physician should have advised you to stop these meds prior to testing.
    From your post about all anyone can tell is that you are sleepy and frustrated, are there other symptoms you are experiencing?
    What does your daily schedule look like?
    How about lab results?
    Any more info you could provide may prove helpful with any advice you may find here
    Best of luck

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.