Index Support Center Forums Treating Narcolepsy Medication suddenly stopped working

• This topic has 10 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 6 months ago by TheRabbitKing. This post has been viewed 852 times
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Lovely forum, guys! Well done!

So undxed, was prescribed 19mg of Concerta initially for Inattentive ADHD, got one increase over the years to 27mg – effect was ok, kept drowsiness at bay which was obviously a big help, but nothing miraculous.

Switched to Strattera 40mg last August or so after reading that the subtype of ADHD-PI characterised as Sluggish Cognitive Tempo (which is more descriptive of myself) can respond better to an NRI. Worked brilliantly at first, then well, up until I refilled it last month.

Now it does nothing at all. I could swear this stuff is placebo now. So I’m asking to go back on Concerta and need to make an appointment – anyone else have their medication suddenly stop working for no apparent reason? I’m back to feeling drowsily dopey most of the day and it sucks, because Strattera worked so well for me.

PurpleyPurpley
    Participant

Possibilities when meds stop working abruptly:
    — Different generic brand (bioavailability can vary by 25%)
    — Changing whether you take it with food or without food (depending on the med, one or the other may be better for absorption)
    — Starting smoking or giving up smoking
    — Increasing or decreasing the dose of another medication, or starting another medication (interactions may be good or bad)
    — Pharmacist dispensed the wrong med (rare, but it happens)
    — Counterfeit med dispensed (also rare)

"Even a soul submerged in sleep is hard at work and helps make something of the world."
    ― Heraclitus, Fragments
    TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

Possibilities when meds stop working abruptly:
    — Different generic brand (bioavailability can vary by 25%)
    — Changing whether you take it with food or without food (depending on the med, one or the other may be better for absorption)
    — Starting smoking or giving up smoking
    — Increasing or decreasing the dose of another medication, or starting another medication (interactions may be good or bad)
    — Pharmacist dispensed the wrong med (rare, but it happens)
    — Counterfeit med dispensed (also rare)

I came here to say all of this, but much to my delight found that purpley was back and said it all way better than I could 😉

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Participant

Thanks both. 🙂

It’s the same brand I’ve always taken. Smoking has changed — I smoke less now but am vaping instead, mostly. I take it as I’ve always done.

Maybe it’s just pooped out on me — just had a customer call me a ****ing dozy t***t so gives some indication of how I feel today lol. Should I try to get an increase in the dose and hope that works?

Keymaster

I’d recommend it. 40 mg is the strattera starter dose and adults are usually titrated up to 80 mg over the course of a month or so. But yeah, I’d really look into the generic/proprietary thing too, as strattera literally just got the generic out.

Participant

Ah thanks! Will go to docs tomorrow if I can get an appointment. 🙂

JasonJason
    Keymaster

I read that tolerance to strattera’s stimulant effects can develop fairly quickly.

Strattera’s rate of absorption goes way down with food, which results in less stimulant like effects. Most stimulants are more alerting if taken on an empty stomach. Most hypnotics are more sedating on an empty stomach. There’s some exceptions to this general rule and other reasons to take medication with food depending on individual responses.

Participant

Thanks guys. 🙂

I’m going back on the Concerta. My doc didn’t seem to put much weight into a dose increase. But it’s fine, as long as I have something that helps. I was on another planet yesterday.

Maybe I developed tolerance because you have to take Strattera every day and I only take the Concerta when needed.

PurpleyPurpley
    Participant

I came here to say all of this, but much to my delight found that purpley was back and said it all way better than I could 😉

Awwwww, shucks….

"Even a soul submerged in sleep is hard at work and helps make something of the world."
    ― Heraclitus, Fragments
    PurpleyPurpley
    Participant

Holy crap! I guess that’s what happens when you leave the quote=1000 tag in — a smiley 1000x as large as normal?!?

― Heraclitus, Fragments
    Keymaster

Hahaha. The quote function is a third party plugin, so I guess it might be a bit weird. I wonder if the same thing would happen if you quoted someone else’s smiley.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.