New job and insurance

Index Support Center Forums Living with N New job and insurance

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by coastingalong 3 months, 2 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 148 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    coastingalong
    Participant
    @coastingalong

So I read through several posts and some helped, just not all the way. Also just stopped searching after reading about an hour. I read through “THOUGHTS ON DISCLOSING NARCOLEPSY IN PRE EMPLOYMENT PHYSICAL?” and that helped 😊

Here’s my situation. I’m looking for another job and will probably get an offer for a position this week. I’m on Xyrem and it works wonders for me. Like I function so well that most of my coworkers and friends forget I have a disorder because I nap during my lunch break. I want to stay on the medication and don’t know if the health insurance they offer will cover Xyrem. If it does, then of course I’m fine. My question is, how do I go about confirming if my future employer’s health insurance covers Xyrem without letting them know about my disorder? Just ask for the benefits package, including health insurance details? Any recommendations are appreciated.

If I have to wait a 90-day period or something similar for my new employer’s health insurance to kick in, I plan to look into COBRA to continue insurance from my current employer. Anyone know about continuing to use COBRA even if a current employer offers insurance, but the COBRA version is better because it covers Xyrem? I plan to ask my employer, and wanted to know if anyone here had advice on what to do or what NOT to do.

I don’t want to accept any new position without having my plan to continue insurance that will cover my meds. Nothing is set in stone and I know I’m asking about back up options, but I wanna be prepared. As you all know, having this disorder is complicated and I want people to know I’m a great employee before judging me on something I cannot control. Maybe I’ll make a separate post about asking for a nap room, but first, meds. Thanks for listening.

Natdoc
    Participant
    @natdoc

Coastingalong
    Welcome to the forum. In regards to your question most insurances are still not permitted to deny coverage based upon preexisting conditions, this includes medications.
    It would not be unusual and certainly prudent to ask what insurance is provided as part of your compensation. Once you know which company provides the coverage a simple phone call can provide your answer.
    Insurance companies also provide online formularies noting which medications are covered. Xyrem will be listed under specialty pharmacy medications, it will also tell you what is required to get the medication covered.
    If for some reason there is a waiting period to get your meds covered have your physician contact Jazz pharmaceuticals they will provide the medication for you until your new insurance kicks in.
    Hope this helps.
    Best of luck.

coastingalong
    Participant
    @coastingalong

Thanks Natdoc! Good to know I can ask my doc to call the pharmacy and request coverage until insurance kicks in too.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.