• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 3 days, 22 hours ago by Ferret. This post has been viewed 57 times
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hello!
    I just got my results for my PSG and MSLT. So they both came back as normal with my MSLT being 12.5 min sleep latency and no REM. I recently had someone witness a cataplexy episode. I told my doctor about how I sleep while I drive, have hallucinations, fall asleep at random places, and sometimes I randomly wake up throughout the night. Is there any way that they would still diagnose me with all of this or is there something I need to do? I have to drive because of work and I’m getting really scared that I’m putting my life and others lives in danger

FerretFerret

@helpmeplzsleep Now we have to figure out what is interfering with the tests. Do you smoke or vape or chew anything with nicotine in it? Are you taking any prescription medications? Are you using Marijuana (smoke/oil/etc.)? All of these things are capable of suppressing REM.

Participant

I don’t use anything. I’ve never smoked or vaped and the only prescription I take is birth control

FerretFerret

Okay. Were you uptight about the testing? Was the bed comfortable? Unfortunately this is the kind of thing that takes diagnosis so long. Sorry to say that you may have to do the testing again.

Participant

Yeah I got really anxious during the MSLT. But I know that insurance won’t pay for testing for 1 year and was just wondering if I’m going to have to keep driving while falling asleep for a whole year. I was just hoping they would be able to diagnose me with all the symptoms I’m having

FerretFerret

The first thing that caught my eye in your last post was the time it was posted. If you are in the U.S., you are up very late. Or are you waking up in the middle of the night. One of the first problems to address is what’s called proper sleep hygiene. You go to bed at a certain time and you wake up at a certain time. ????? If you had to get up this morning to go to work then I’m not surprised you’re tired. Or are you on a different shift? Shift work can wreak havoc on your sleep quality, especially if the shifts move around.
    Also, your “cataplectic” episode… care to describe that and under what circumstances it occurred please.

Participant

Oh yeah I work in a hospital and I have to get there by 5:30 so I go to bed around 8pm and wake up at 3am. But despite the 7 hours of sleep I get I constantly find myself exhausted. I was basically talking to a coworker and got extremely annoyed and then a few moments later I had this damp feeling spread from head to toe and my head and shoulders just kind of gave out. It lasted maybe 30 seconds and I could move again. The same thing has happened before and the last time I can remember it happening was that someone surprised me with some news and I just lost control of my head and shoulders. It doesn’t happen all the time and doesn’t always happen with the same emotions. This year I’ve had 3 episodes to far and I didn’t realize they were cataplexy cause I was still tired during those times and I thought I was fighting off sleep

FerretFerret

I think that’s cataplexy for sure. I used to work as a lab technologist and started work at 7 am… shift was 7-3 and others worked 3-11 and 11-7.
    As soon as I started having cataplexy, I stopped working where I might accidentally kill someone.
    Is there any chance that you can fit in a nap after your shift? It might help you better cope because seven hours just isn’t going to cut it. I still sleep 10 hours a day (7 hours from 11 to 6 and a nap from 2 to 5. Basically had to split my days into manageable slices.
    Also, I want you to head over to the Non Rx Strategies section and read the other ways that you can help yourself… what food you eat, etc.
    Unless someone can record a cataplexy episode with their cell phone that you can show to your Doctor it’s going to be tough to prove. I took my hubby with me as a witness (before cell phones).
    The point of the above is to let you know that looking for a medication to solve your problems is probably a pipe dream because sometimes the medication is worse than the problem. Just be aware of that and know that you have other options.
    BTW, my mslt (35 years ago) was under a minute in all four naps and REM in all four naps plus full fall down cataplexy.
    You can do this!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.