questions about insomnia

Index Support Center Forums Other Sleep Disorders questions about insomnia

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Justlostinmyhead 9 months, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 283 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Justlostinmyhead
    Justlostinmyhead
    Participant
    @justlostinmyhead

I think I don’t know for sure but I think my wife has insomnia. the other day she was complaining of not being able to sleep at all. she was up until about 4 and then woke at 530 and couldn’t go back to sleep. the odd thing though is all that I am researching doesn’t say anything about having vivid, dream-like hallucinations like as with narcolepsy. Is it possible for someone with insomnia to have these? she said she had a “dream” that she went to tickle my daughter and stuck her had into a poopy diaper then she proceeded to get up and go to wash her hands and discovered that our daughter was still in bed and she didn’t have poop on her hands. yet she swore she was awake? is this possible? or could it be something else?

Thank You,
    Justlost

Natdoc
    Participant
    @natdoc

justlostinmyhead
    Insomnia is classified as either short term, long term or chronic insomnia. All forms of insomnia lead to sleep deprivation. Sleep deprivation may lead to hallucinations which are frequently confused with dreaming. It is important to figure out which is which. How long has this been going on?, any other symptoms?. Is there excessive daytime sleepiness?, Is sleep hygiene good?
    I realize that folks don’t believe they sleep, however if one truly never slept within 48 – 72 hours they would be very ill. Most people who suffer from insomnia do sleep although it is not restorative sleep. it is not the slow wave and REM sleep that the rest of us experience, their sleep is very fragmented and light and they feel as if they have not slept at all.
    This can be a very debilitating problem if allowed to progress to a chronic state, I would advise a complete and thorough physical exam with a broad panel of blood work to begin with. Make sure the blood work includes the following which are not normally included. (CBC, Chem profile, Iron, Iron binding capacity, ferritin, RBC magnesium, TSH,T3,T4 and thyroid antibodies. cortisol levels, vitamin D3 and inflamatory markers.
    If all are within normal limits a consult with a sleep physician may be warranted.
    The proper and most effective management for insomnia is cognitive behavioral therapy, in my opinion only, I have not found a good medication to treat insomnia. Too often we attempt to alleviate symptoms with medications including benzodiazepines, hypnotics and antidepressants my advice would be to stay away from these products.
    I wish you and your wife all the best

Justlostinmyhead
    Justlostinmyhead
    Participant
    @justlostinmyhead

@natdoc ” How long has this been going on?, any other symptoms?. Is there excessive daytime sleepiness?, Is sleep hygiene good?”

This has been going on for months now, idk maybe 5-6 months, her dad almost died from a bladder and lung infection then about 2 months later her sister got out of prison and started to torment her and her dad. So I’ve been thinking its stress related. She is very sleepy through out the day but she isn’t in and out of sleep like I am she is typically able to lay down with my 2 youngest and take a short nap in the morning then she is ok until around 4-5 then she wants another nap. and as far as sleep hygiene she tries to stick to my schedule the only thing we do that is bad is sleep with the TV on. and funny thing Is I’ve been telling her we need to shut it off b4 bed. the funnier part is last night we did and she said she got the best sleep she’s gotten in a while.

as far as the quality of her sleep, she is a very light sleeper. she used to be a heavy sleeper until our third of five kids was born. she started to get paranoid they were going to get up and mess or do something stupid and she became a very light sleeper. and I have noticed her sleep quality has been going down further and further.

I have been trying to get her in to see a doctor since I started noticing it but she keeps making excuses to not go. “well how am I going to get there you have the car” “what will I do with the kids” and the ever famous with her “I just don’t want to go”. I will keep in mind about all those tests when I can actually get her to go in to see the doc. thank you for all the info.

Thank You @natdoc,
    Justlost

Thank You,
    Justlost

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.