Sleeping mask? Napping tips?

Index Support Center Forums Non Rx Strategies Sleeping mask? Napping tips?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Ferret 1 month, 1 week ago. This post has been viewed 1287 times

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster
    @jasonm

Last night was supposed to be my recovery night from crappy sleep earlier this week caused from storms, the AC blowing out, sinus infection, nightmares, etc.

So last night, the worst storm yet comes in from 8pm to 4am nonstop. I have blackout curtains and still it looked like a strobe light. The thunder was so loud, it rattled every window.

Needless to say lunesta was absolutely useless. I probably should have surrendered and taken a day off stimulants. However I did not!

So how do others deal this kind if stuff? I’ve tried powering through with early morning exercise without much success. Napping helps but I’m like a 2 year old/puppy and tend to fight naps.

Are those blackout masks helpful for napping with N? Is there a stronger hypnotic than lunesta/temazepam?

Ferret
    Ferret
    @ferret

I tend to wake up at the slightest noise and my hearing is very acute. With those things in mind, my first intervention was earplugs. If the concept is to sleep, then blocking noise is my priority. If you have ever lived in Mexico, you will know that it’s a very noisy place.
    I’ve tried all kinds of earplugs but my favourite brand is “Quiet Please” by Flents. They are soft foam plugs that you roll between your thumb and forefinger and shove in your ear canal. As the foam expands in your ear, the outside world checks out. I can sleep through thunderstorms/firecrackers/leaf blowers/lawn mowers. On the other hand, I will be instantly awake if something touches my arm.
    I don’t use a mask but it would be worth a try. There are even masks that contain dried lavender to relax you and take you to lala land. Falling asleep has never been my problem. I’m usually asleep within a minute or two.

Sleepy RBD
    Participant
    @sleepy-rbd

@Jason Those thunderstorms can definitely be sleep killers. Living where we live, it is usually rather quiet at night and even for naps except for the occasional storms which are more common in the summertime.

One of my daughters and my son who both have small children and live in different areas, use sound machines, white noise apps on the ipad, etc. in their children’s rooms for naps and at night. You might have already tried all of that, but it usually does seem to help buffer the noise unless there happens to be one of those stronger storms that ends up being a window rattler or perhaps a very loud siren. Also, on my last trip I found a website that had some great ocean background noise that I played at night.

On another note, an extremely loud fan will also work as a great sound blocker as recalled below…

@Ferret When I read your comments, I couldn’t help but think back to the following experience.

Twelve years ago, I had the opportunity to spend an amazing summer in Mexico teaching English at a small language school. The classroom, office, a small kitchen area and bathroom were located on the ground floor with two bedrooms and a shared bath for the teachers on the second floor. The bedrooms had sliding glass doors that opened onto a small covered terrace that overlooked a street in the neighborhood in which the school was located.

After the first night, I became very aware of how challenging it might be to sleep with all of the noises in the community. The next day or so, I was standing in the doorway of the other teacher’s room talking about plans for scheduling, curriculum, and other school related topics when I noticed a square fan on the floor across the room.

I commented something like, “Wow, you have a fan. I wonder if there is another one like that around here.”
    I was thinking that it would help with air circulation on those hot summer nights. (Although the individual rooms had wall air conditioners, we tried to minimize the usage due to the expense to the school.)

She replied that she wasn’t using the fan because it was too loud. In fact, it made so much noise that she couldn’t sleep with it on and that I was more than welcome to take it. With a grateful heart and a smile on my face, I accepted the fan that thereafter became affectionately known as “Mr. Noisy”. Mr. Noisy served me well during an unforgettable summer as he circulated the air and helped block out the nighttime and early morning noises of a vibrant community…

@Jason I wish that I had a Mr. Noisy to send you and hope that your sleep has improved since you started this topic. 🙂

@Ferret I am putting the ear plugs that you recommended on my list of things to buy before my next trip.

TheRabbitKing
    TheRabbitKing
    Keymaster
    @deathrabbit

There a bunch of great noise generator apps for android. My favorite is brown noise. It’s white noise with the higher frequencies cut out to make it smoother. Sounds like a quiet waterfall.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster
    @jasonm

I have a noise machine but the thunder in this state is like a bomb going off. I took this photo outside my house.

No one uses a mask for daytime sleep? I’m very sensitive to light. Like the slightest light will wake me up at night. I think I’m going to try one for napping.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    TheRabbitKing
    TheRabbitKing
    Keymaster
    @deathrabbit

I tried a mask but always found the sensation of something on my face more disruptive than any of the light. I’d more suggest blackout shades/curtains

TheRabbitKing
    TheRabbitKing
    Keymaster
    @deathrabbit

I’m not saying this is good advice, especially for any new PWN, but I personally found that once I quit obsessing over sleep hygiene, I started actually sleeping way better. I was obsessed with every detail and had ear plugs and noise apps and blackout curtains, etc, etc, and all that seemed to do was create a mindset where I would microfocus on any little distraction. Basically I got to the point where if there was a cricket or something little and random happening anywhere, it would ruin my entire night of sleep as I sat there and got more and more flustered at the minute amount of noise. I’m not sure exactly how I got out of that death spiral, but now, while still following some simple good practices, I purposefully don’t focus on creating a 100% ideal sleep environment. It just psyched me out too much.

Sleepy RBD
    Participant
    @sleepy-rbd

@Jason That definitely looks like a storm that would make a sound machine ineffective. I don’t use a sound machine at home due to where we live; but when we have a storm of that intensity, we’d probably lose power which would render the machine worthless anyway. 🙁

It might sound weird, but the daylight doesn’t seem to bother me so much when I’m trying to sleep. At night, it is a whole different situation. If I’m away from home, I will try to eliminate as much light as possible from the environment. When I didn’t have access to an official sleep mask, I have been known to create a sleep mask of sorts from black gym shorts or capris. Actually the capris seemed to be a little more effective since they had extra length to hold them in place. (LOL)
    What one will do…all for a little sleep…

@TheRabbitKing For some reason, the clothing solution didn’t seem to bother me as much as a mask. I’d seriously have to find that cricket… 🙂

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster
    @jasonm

I don’t obsess over sleep hygiene. There’s a lot of misinformation on the topic, such as going to bed at the same time everyday, which is actually not recommended by experts and may harm sleep quality. I agree if you obsess about anything, it’s likely going to blow up in your face. Sleep is allabout relaxation.

I have blackout curtains but they don’t work well. I got the idea of a mask because my 1yr old nephew was impossible to get to nap until my sister held him in the bathroom (which is pitch black). Within minutes his butt would be asleep.

I’m mostly concerned with brief daytime naps, rather than nighttime sleep.

Oh and guess what? We had an enormous thunderstorm again last night. Fml!

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster
    @jasonm

@sleepyrbd you would not believe the storms here. They are beautiful but so powerful they sometimes look apocalyptic. I had an 1/2 mile wide F4 tornado (second biggest type) barely above the ground headed straight down the street my house is on. It was less than a mile away. Do we bunker down or flee? I fled lol. It touched down about 1/4 mile past my house, destroying everything in its wake. Trust me, it’s easy to stay awake!

Generally if I’m driving home and see this, I know I’m going to be miserable haha.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Ferret
    Ferret
    @ferret

I don’t obsess over sleep hygiene. There’s a lot of misinformation on the topic, such as going to bed at the same time everyday, which is actually not recommended by experts and may harm sleep quality. I agree if you obsess about anything, it’s likely going to blow up in your face. Sleep is allabout relaxation.

I have blackout curtains but they don’t work well. I got the idea of a mask because my 1yr old nephew was impossible to get to nap until my sister held him in the bathroom (which is pitch black). Within minutes his butt would be asleep.

I’m mostly concerned with brief daytime naps, rather than nighttime sleep.

Oh and guess what? We had an enormous thunderstorm again last night. Fml!

The strict sleep schedule works for me. But my pattern was worked out over a couple of years of being able to just sleep when I wanted to. I am asleep within a minute so getting to sleep is never a problem and I rarely wake up in the night. I don’t set an alarm ever unless I have to catch a flight. For me, I automatically sleep for 7 hours at night and always 3 hours in the afternoon. I resent the nap because it’s the equivalent of having only six days in a week. But, ya do what ya gotta do… and if you want to see me go off the rails very quickly, try depriving me of it. Cranky two year old doesn’t even begin to describe how it makes me feel. YMMV.

Sk8aplexy
    Sk8aplexy
    Participant
    @sk8aplexy

Basically I only go to sleep when I feel ready/able to sleep.
    If I try to sleep when it’s not hitting me or I’m not at that point of feeling like I’d be more comfortable in bed, I will not be able to fall asleep.
    My mind has to be slow, not be going (in gear), or it’ll just keep going and I’ll be laying there, like ugh. The more I think about trying to fall asleep, the more it becomes insomnia, this is part of why I don’t nap often.
    Sometimes though, it does take basically take awaiting that point where I’m dragging myself to bed from, while nodding out in, my chair.

The way I think of, my own, sleep hygiene is less on the strict schedule but more on comfort, darkness, quietness, and especially temperature. I can not wear ear plugs and I have the closest room to a large street, blocks from the hospital so there’s a lot of ambulance noise. Comfort and temp are huge for me.
    Less computer screens that last 30 minutes, I could be better about.

My sleep schedule is close to routine, flexing a few hours when I go to bed 11pm-2am (Mayo said I have Delayed Sleep Phase Onset disorder/syndrome, doesn’t mean anything to me besides I don’t follow the normal schedules), I awaken multiple times a night briefly and go right back to sleep (often lesser and lesser quality towards when I wake up), getting out of bed anywhere from 8-11. My Fitbit says I sleep 4-7 hours with all deep sleep happening most always right at the beginning for one ~13% chunk, with total hours in bed being 8-10+.

Through most of my 20’s I’d actually sleep through the mornings and wake up later, often mid day, but I also went to bed somewhat later. There’ve always been a lot of dreaming in the mornings, I’ve had some wild trips where I’m awakening from a dream as I would any day, yet I later awaken from that dream to find I was just in another dream. Since my early 30’s, I’ve lost being able to sleep through much of anything and am a super light sleeper.

What is hugely negative for me are when I have stresses going on, or have an upcoming event/s (appointment, activity, travels, anything really). This is horrible because it causes me to never be well rested (beyond the regular not well rested state) and that’s not good when trying to be on point, or perform in whichever way.
    Stresses and upcoming event/s are also a big trigger for HH and SP which combine on me, one night though years back I realized something huge. If when I’m going to sleep I recognize the combination going on, it can basically allow me to break or snap right out of (at least the) HH, just connecting the thought of N symptoms into the equation, it allows me to win (so to speak).

It’s so odd, the crazy variables that go with this disease. I find it sometime, fascinating really.

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster
    @jasonm

@ferret haha, please continue your routine! There really isn’t a one size fits all approach. Most pwn have short refreshing naps (like 20-30mins). Others can sleep for hours. It’s quite variable.

I think going to bed at the same time gets too much emphasis. Like if you’re not sleepy but go to bed at 9pm, that may actually harm sleep quality vs staying up until you’re sleepy. But everyone is different obviously! You’re a lucky duck being able to sleep though the night. I think I’ve done it twice unmedicated since my teens.

Sleepy RBD
    Participant
    @sleepy-rbd

@Jason I’m sorry to hear about the destruction due to the tornado in your community, but I am glad that you were okay. That’s a tough decision, to flee or not. The area where we live can also be prone to tornadoes, but we haven’t experienced anything to the magnitude of what you have had there.

If you are asleep during a thunderstorm and it wakes you up, how do you react? (That question may seem somewhat random.) I hope that you will get a break from the storms soon.

I saw under another topic that you were having a great day! 🙂

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster
    @jasonm

@sleepy RBD It’s weird. Sometimes my day will start fine and then I’ll crash. I don’t really react to the storms. It just briefly wakes me up, then I go back to sleep but when that happens 45 times, it tends to make me exhausted the next day. I don’t worry about tornadoes or anything. There’s not much you can do at night since you can’t see them. I only flee if it’s during the day and I know where it is. They usually go mostly east around here so going a mile south, etc puts you in the clear.

A few years ago I was at my office and my mom texted me watch out there’s a tornado heading that way! My mom is one of those over protective worriers so I didn’t think much of it. The owner/builder of the building my office is in fled to a building across the street. I was like uhhh, okay I’m going to flee now. So as I’m running to my car that’s about half a block away, a tree 10 feet away from me snapped in half. I was pretty sure I was toast haha. I ran into the first building I could find and waited in a restaurant freezer. There’s a time to flee and there’s a time to hide! It was certainly a rush.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.