Index General Discussion The Science of N Supressing REM

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 1 month ago by Pereise1. This post has been viewed 594 times
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Hi all! Long time no post for me. I was hoping somebody could help explain to me if or how suppressing REM during nighttime sleep can help with excessive daytime sleepiness. I sleep like an absolute ROCK at night, but I always wake up remembering my dreams and I am curious if that indicates that I am not sleeping well. And if it does, how can I suppress REM?

I do not suffer from cataplexy – just excessive daytime sleepiness. My current regimen of Concerta in the morning and some backup immediate release Ritalin is doing well, but, as I’m sure you all can relate, even when you’re on a good treatment regimen, you still have sleep attacks.

@ferret, I know that you suppress REM with oil before bed, but does that help your sleepiness as well or just your cataplexy?

FerretFerret

Everybody’s different so, basically, you wouldn’t know until you tried something. A two week trial ought to give you the answers you seek.
    Let me put it another way. If yoU’re constantly dreaming through the night, how are you getting any deep refreshing sleep?
    Ideally, perhaps some kind of tracking device could give you a baseline of what you’re experiencing now when you sleep and then when you use the oil for two weeks.
    I go to bed at 11 p.m. and get up at 6 a.m. naturally. I nap from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. daily. That’s a pattern that works for me but I’m still sleeping 10 hours a day… just not in between.

Pereise1Pereise1
    Participant

I’ve personally been using plain, cheap ol Baclofen 2/3 nights and phenibut every 3rd night for REM sleep suppression lately. Baclofen is cheap, has low tolerance, and shouldn’t have a hangover effect as the half-life is only 4-6hrs. Here’s a study: The Effect of Baclofen on Alterations in the Sleep Patterns Induced by Different Stressors in Rats.

Also, I’m in the process of trying this out for myself soon, but Nortriptyline should repress REM sleep while deepening and stablizing sleep with its 5-HT2A and 5-HT2C receptor antagonism: Longitudinal effects of nortriptyline on EEG sleep and the likelihood of recurrence in elderly depressed patients..

On the natural side, although I can’t locate the studies at this time, Lavender and Lemon Balm should lower REM sleep through their effects on the cholinergic system.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.