Testing Process

Index Support Center Forums Diagnosis Process Testing Process

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Natdoc 3 months, 4 weeks ago. This post has been viewed 149 times

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sleepyeric
    Participant
    @sleepyeric

I had the MSLT two days ago. I had an overnight test, followed by the MSLT. They had recently installed hospital beds, which are incredibly uncomfortable. I have a lot of back problems and often sleep in a chair, especially when napping. The staff said that I MUST sleep and take all naps in the bed, the very uncomfortable hospital bed, and then spend the rest of my time awake, which I spent in a very nice, cushy, recliner. I basically spent my entire time in the chair fighting off sleep, falling asleep multiple times while I was supposed to be awake, and then I spent most of the time during the nap times awake and incredibly uncomfortable, with back spasms, etc, from the pain of the horrible bed. I feel like the test was completely backwards! Has anyone else experienced this? Was anyone else allowed to take naps in a chair or recliner, or even just sitting upright rather than the required “flat in a bed”?

Ferret
    Ferret
    @ferret

I am sorry you had to experience that. As far as I know, all testing is done in a bed. Wait until you get your results and see your Doctor for follow-up. This is where going and checking out the test centre beforehand would have been beneficial. They are, most definitely, different. Even advising your Doctor before the testing that you have back problems would have been a good idea. The technicians can only be flexible in normal procedures when they have been forewarned by the Doctor.
    I sincerely hope that you do not have to repeat the procedure.

Natdoc
    Participant
    @natdoc

Sleepyeric
    Sorry to hear you had such poor results with your testing. Ferret is right about informing your physicians about your constant pain. That being said, in our lab the technicians do have the flexibility to make sleeping arrangement changes, we like to see what you consider a “normal” night and if that involves sleeping in a recliner then so be it.
    I would also suggest that if your pain is still this severe you need to have that checked and make every effort to get it under control, pain is one of the most avid sleep disruptors there is.
    Unfortunately, as long as the pain interferes with your sleep any test results will be questionable.
    What did your overnight study look like? do you have the results? was it what you would consider a “normal” night of sleep. Keep in mind you were also in a strange place and this will have some bearing on your night.
    I certainly wish you the very best

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.