Which side do you sleep on?

Index Support Center Forums Living with N Which side do you sleep on?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Ferret 1 week, 6 days ago. This post has been viewed 356 times

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ferret
    Ferret
    @ferret

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI5pYxFAYSo

I also noticed, over the years, that I nearly always got sleep paralysis and hypnogogic hallucinations only when I fell asleep on my back. FWIW.

Jason
    Jason
    Keymaster
    @jasonm

Haven’t had a chance to watch the video but sleeping on your back not only increases the chance of sleep paralysis, it also increases the likelihood of apneas. My sleep doctor during my overnight study had me sleep on my side and back and told me, although I still would not meet the criteria for obstructive sleep apnea sleeping on my back I had more breathing issues while on my back ad the fewer episodes the better so he advised I sleep on my side.

TheRabbitKing
    TheRabbitKing
    Keymaster
    @deathrabbit

I used to sleep better on my side but now it seems more and more like my “parts” get in the way and make that feel uncomfortable. I actually think I have some moderate pelvic floor dysfunction, most likely due to my terrible digestion requiring more time on the toilet than I used to have to spend. Sorry for the gory details haha. Gallbladder removal sucks. Though it certainly does beat impacted gallbladder.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Where am I
    Participant
    @where-am-i

In addition to sleep paralysis, I have found sleeping on my back to increase the likelihood of having horrific nightmares and startling awake throughout the night. When I was younger and going through crazy orthodontic adjustments, I often tried sleeping on my back because my face was so painful to put pressure on. I ended up deciding that sleeping on my side was worth the pain.

sleeping giant
    Participant
    @sleeping-giant

Hi, so I have never been a person that snores in my life and have never been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have started on Xyrem somewhat recently and despite the growing pains of titrating up to the right dosage, I have been starting to see some positive results. Now I have started snoring pretty moderately. My entire life I’ve always slept on my side but now I guess I have been rolling to my back, snoring very loudly and making strange “mouth noises”, and my girlfriend has had to very aggressively shake me awake in order to get me to stop. She would push me over on my side, I would wake up (say sorry lol), fall back asleep and eventually roll on my back and start snoring again. Now, I’m aware that xyrem is controversial and I’m still evaluating it as a part of my treatment plan, but I’m wondering if anybody else has had experience with this and if they have found something that can help with it, ie side sleeping pillow, other snoring remedies, etc. Also inquiring about other general info/input regarding this topic. Thanks!

Ferret
    Ferret
    @ferret

Okay, I’m old but, honestly, is there something wrong with sleeping in another room? It doesn’t mean you don’t get together for extra curricular activities but? Your sleep is precious. So is your girlfriend’s. My hubby snored like a chainsaw and I always slept in another room for over thirty years but we still had a great sex life. Yeah, sorry, too much information.
    There are a million suggestions for stopping snoring if you google… even tying a tennis ball around your body that puts the tennis ball in the middle of your back… but that may be disruptive to your sleep as well.
    However, I would bring up this nasty side effect with your sleep Doctor and see what his/her suggestion is.
    Good luck to you both!

Ferret
    Ferret
    @ferret
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.