Index Support Center Forums Treating Narcolepsy Xyrem and less sleep

• This topic has 24 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 3 years, 9 months ago by T. This post has been viewed 3713 times L. This post has been viewed 3713 times Horse. This post has been viewed 3713 times
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    T. L. HorseT. L. Horse
    Participant

I dropped about 2 hours of sleep after going on Xyrem. I was at Stanford’s Center for Narcolepsy a couple of days ago and I asked Dr. Mignot about it. He said that Xyrem causes sleep to be more efficient so I get the same amount of restfulness in fewer hours.

T. L.

TheRabbitKingTheRabbitKing
    Keymaster

While that’s true, I feel Mignot is being a bit blaise here. I seriously doubt it makes sleep efficient enough to drop two hours with no deleterious effect. If we were talking 30-45 mins, I’d agree. And judging by the fact Jazz is working on a form of Xyrem with a longer duration, the makers of it agree with me.

My current jam: Anathema - Springfield

Participant

Either way it isn’t enough sleep. I use to be able to force myself through the morning now I’m having to get caffeine because I can’t. I’m hoping that the single dose will come soon.

Keymaster

I spoke with a mother of a young PWN once who claimed her son saw great benefit from doing his nightly dosing of 9g as 3.5g, 3.5g, and 2g, waking up every two and a half hours or so. Something to maybe mention to your sleep doc as a possibility. I wouldn’t encourage going off the reservation on your own with Xyrem.

Participant

I never would go off on my own. My worry about that would be not sleeping at all

Participant

Jenail87
    Perhaps when you see your Physician you should mention this. I know medications affect each person differently, my experience with effexor is that it causes drowsiness for this reason we generally recommend it in the evening before bedtime.
    Best of luck

Participant

I’ve been in effexor for 6 years and it has never made me drowsy. My doctor told me normally they prescribe it in the morning to help wakefulness because it is more simulating. I was told it was simulating by multiple doctors prior to this as well. According to drugs.com effexor and xyrem interact as well.

Keymaster

I’ve always heard Effexor to be more stimulating, but for many of those drugs, the dosage is pertinent. Like they will give you only 10 mg of doxepin for insomnia at night, but they will normally give a much higher dose for daytime dosing, because its more stimulating. I’m given to understand it’s all about the norepinephrine vs serotonin effects. If serotonin effect is stronger, then you sleep. If the nor-e is stronger, you speed.

Participant

I’ve never really noticed either. It’s been so long that I’ve been taking it. All I know is it helps greatly with my depression and anxiety

T. L. HorseT. L. Horse
    Participant

I spoke with a mother of a young PWN once who claimed her son saw great benefit from doing his nightly dosing of 9g as 3.5g, 3.5g, and 2g, waking up every two and a half hours or so. Something to maybe mention to your sleep doc as a possibility. I wouldn’t encourage going off the reservation on your own with Xyrem.

I tried a dose of 3g, 3g, and 3g a few times but it didn’t work for me. I couldn’t sleep after the final dose.

T. L.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.